Year In Review

Looks like another year has passed, so it’s a perfect time to look back on how my Japanese studies have progressed, and think about making some tweaks for the coming year. Last year, I decided that I wanted to focus more on extensive reading. While I initially planned to do this using the resource of chilren’s books known as EhonNavi, I very quickly came across another resource that I liked much better, the Pibo app. I did manage to stick to reading children’s books on Pibo throughout the year. I managed to read about every other day, on average. I also occasionally read articles from NHK Easy News, though I don’t like this resource so much because the majority of the articles are just so freaking boring. However, I didn’t read as much as I really planned to. I hope to increase my reading amount this year.

I also spent a good chunk of time both watching some Japanese shows on Netflix, as well as researching into how to extract the subtitles, and then using those subtitles to help studying a bit. I am proud that with the help of some others, we have finally managed to finally make it pretty easy to extract subtitles from any Netflix show. I admittedly haven’t actually used those subtitles a whole lot yet for studying, but that is something I want to focus on more in this coming year.

I’ve also continued doing daily anki reps, slowly continuing to add content from Common Japanese Collocations. I really want to finish this up in the coming year, because it still continues to be the most valuable resource for studying in Anki that I have come across.

I feel like I’m still just taking baby steps, but progress is progress. Here’s looking forward to another year of Japanese!

Netflix subtitle updates

I’ve got some additional cool news regarding Netflix subtitles!

First, I have ripped and performed OCR for a lot of additional subtitles, more than doubling the amount of subtitles available in the previous package. A link to download the subtitles is available in my original post that is located here.

Second, I have made some updates to the software used to perform the OCR. It is now SIGNIFICANTLY easier to use! Windows users can simply download and run the application, rather than having to mess around with installing python and various python packages, and fiddling around with a command line.

Some changes I have made include:

  • added graphical user interface
  • fixed issues with unicode file/folder names
  • it should output correct SRT files now
  • multiple languages are supported for OCR

A link to download the updated application is also in my original post regarding netflix subtitles.